Top 10 Wisconsin Car Insurance Companies
While Allstate, GEICO, and Travelers are among the best Wisconsin car insurance companies, your individual rates will vary based on your driving record and the kind of coverage you need. Refer to this list as you shop online for car insurance, and enter your ZIP code below to compare Wisconsin car insurance quotes from local companies to find the best possible rates.
Compare Car Insurance Companies
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Sep 5, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right car insurance coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Car insurance comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top car insurance companies. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Every state has its own car insurance requirements for car insurance and Wisconsin is no exception. If you are living in Wisconsin you should know that you need to have a minimum of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage, $15,000 in property damage liability, $100,000 in uninsured motorist bodily injury. You should have $10,000 in medical payments coverage though you can opt out of that in your car insurance policy. These are just the minimum amounts and you might want to have more depending on your situation. Compare car insurance companies by entering your ZIP and finding the best companies!
Collision and comprehensive insurance is not required for car insurance policies in Wisconsin, though it’s wise to add these to your policy unless you have specific reasons like you are driving a twenty year old car which isn’t worth more than $500.
Remember that you will also need to show proof of your auto insurance policy if you are trying to reinstate your driver’s license or vehicle registration after is has been suspended or if you are under age 18 without a sponsor. You don’t need this under normal circumstances like registering your vehicle or renewing your driver’s license. Enter your ZIP and find the best car insurance for all of your needs!
Top 10 Wisconsin Car Insurance Companies
While there are far more than ten car insurance companies in the state of Wisconsin, here are the top ten Wisconsin car insurance companies that you’ll want to check out and run comparisons on in order to find out which company offers you the best value.
- Allstate – As do all insurance companies, Allstate offers discounts for drivers. Their most popular discounts are the safe driver discount, early signing discount (for switching policies immediately), discount for being a good student, having passive restraint (seat belts and airbags), anti-lock breaks and anti-theft devices.
- Geico – You know them from their television commercials and this company promises excellent customer service and commitment to helping you get the lowest possible car insurance policy. They also offer a variety of payment plans to fit your needs.
- Travelers -This auto insurance company offers more than fifteen discounts to help you get the lowest prices.
- Farmers – Farmers offers car insurance in addition to home, life and small business insurance. Buying multiple policies through them may qualify you for discounts. They are committed to customer service and serving the needs of their customers.
- Rural Mutual – Not just for folks in the rural communities of Wisconsin. They offer car insurance in addition to home, life, farm and business insurance.
- State Farm – A popular insurance choice of millions around America. They not only offer insurance but banking services as well.
- American Family- A household name, they aim to offer low premiums and excellent customer service. Offering a wide variety of policies, you can take care of all your insurance needs with them.
- Progressive – In addition to standard auto insurance, this company also offers a RV, motorcycle, boat, renters and umbrella insurance policies. They offer a special “name your price” offer which allows you to counteroffer their quote.
- Wisconsin Mutual – An insurance agency based out of Madison, they offer local representatives all around Wisconsin. When dealing with Wisconsin Mutual, you’ll be sure to be a person and not just a number.
- Nationwide – A dependable company that focuses on customer service and aims to get you the lowest car insurance premiums possible.
Comparing Wisconsin Car Insurance
To get the best rates on car insurance, it’s essential to do free, online car insurance comparisons which are simple and fast. Just visit the car insurance comparison web page, input your zip code and you’ll be given a list of companies that will offer you the lowest rates.
Then fill out the simple forms, informing them of your driving record, the make and model of your car and any other pertinent information and you’ll be given car insurance quotes in a matter of minutes. Don’t hesitate to contact a customer service agent with questions or to request additional information so that you can make a well informed decision.
You really need to do auto insurance comparisons every year or two, maybe even more frequently, to make sure that you are getting the best rates. Gone are the days when you are better off sticking with the same insurance provider just because of brand loyalty. Insurance rates rise over time and when you see yours creeping up, it’s time to do another comparison to see where you can get better rates.
Tips for Comparing Wisconsin Insurance Companies
Here are some tips for comparing Wisconsin insurance companies:
- Compare car quotes from at least five car insurance companies to make sure you are getting a good view of the range of premiums that are available to you. The more quotes you compare, the better chance you have of getting the absolute lowest rates.
- Don’t just accept the first quote that you get. If you are seriously considering a company or two, call them up and negotiate with them to get other discounts. If they don’t offer a military discount, but you or your partner qualify, ask for them to give you a discount. There’s always room to negotiate. If one company says no, just use what you learned and then call up another and try again.
- See how raising your deductible effects the cost of your insurance and consider upping your deductible from $250 to $1000 or more. Then stock away the cash that you are saving and keep it in a special emergency fund so in the event you do need it, you will have enough cash to cover the expenses.
Discounts Car Insurance Companies Routinely Offer
Here’s a list of 11 car insurance discounts that are commonly given. Make sure that a potentail insurer offers the ones that you would qualify for and if they don’t, ask them to give you one.
- Safe driver: Having a clean driving record can net you a discount.
- Good student: If you have teenage drivers, you’ll want to be sure they are making it on the Honor Roll to keep your car insurance rates low. If you have kids in college who won’t be driving, make sure that they are taken off during the months when they won’t be needing insurance coverage to save more. Usually insurance companies are good about helping customers out in this area.
- Good credit: Insurers find that there’s a correlation between having a good credit score and being a responsible driver. If your credit score isn’t above 750, you’ll want to improve it by making sure any bad debts are paid off and that your bills are paid on time every month.
- No previous claims: Having made previous claims, no matter how minor, increases your premium. If you can easily cover some small problem, don’t ruin your chances of having higher premiums; pay the cost yourself.
- Paying annually: Paying your premium monthly adds to the company’s costs; both in time and money. Handing over a large payment once a year will net you a discount.
- Having a car that isn’t likely to be stolen or vandalized: A red sports car will cost considerably more to insure than a blue family sedan. Check with the companies to see which cars are more likely to be a victim of theft if you aren’t sure. Likewise, if you are in the market for a new car, check this to help make a good choice.
- Military member: Most insurance companies will offer a discount to thank military member for their service. If one doesn’t ask them for a discount.
- Installing safety devices in your car: If you have and use certain safety devices in your car like airbags and alarms, you’ll probably be eligible for a discount.
- Low mileage driver: The less you drive, the less risk you have of getting in an accident. If you are a low mileage driver ask for this discount.
- Having a low emission vehicle: While energy efficient and low emission cars don’t come cheap, you should get a discount for having bought one and making the environment a better place.
- Taking a safe driver class: If it’s been a while since your driver’s education days or if your driving record is not perfect, see what taking a two or three hour refresher class will do to help you premium drop.
What are you waiting for?
While it seems like a lot of work to go through, being able to save hundreds of dollars a year just by doing some online comparisons of Wisconsin car insurance will be worth it. Block off an hour or two, sit down at your computer and enter your zip code to get quotes today! Don’t wait any longer enter your ZIP and find cheap car insurance TODAY!