What does a car insurance broker do?
An auto insurance broker can act as your voice in a crowded marketplace. If you're a high-risk client who has trouble finding the right coverage for your needs, an insurance broker can help you find your best options and even save you money. Insurance brokers are fully licensed professionals who know how to navigate the intricate insurance world, but they don’t work for the providers, they work for you, the consumer.
Compare Car Insurance Companies
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Mar 8, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right car insurance coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our car insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different car insurance companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Auto insurance brokers work to represent your needs as you look for the best insurance policy for you
- Using a broker to decide which insurance policy suits you provides many advantages in what can be a confusing process
- You can become a broker and learn to help people pick the insurance policies that provide the best coverage for their needs
What do auto insurance brokers do?
They work to find the most suitable auto insurance policy for you based on your exact needs. They can help you find ways to save money on your policy, and they can even sometimes find you discounts you wouldn’t find elsewhere. An insurance broker has a duty to represent their client’s financial interests. Their primary function is to help clients research and identify the policy specifications that satisfy their needs.
There are two kinds of insurance representatives you might encounter as you search for your perfect auto policy: insurance brokers and insurance agents.
Agents work for insurance providers, while brokers work for you, the consumer. Brokers represent their clients and have a duty to provide impartial advice and act in your best interest. Agents represent the providers they work for and therefore their company’s needs will always come first.
Insurance agents are more of a mediator between consumers and the company they represent. They have contractual agreements that outline the specific policies they can sell. In other words, the company they work for is always their top priority. Unlike agents, brokers cannot bind a policy to a customer because they are not representatives of insurance companies. Brokers instead act as your voice in the overall insurance world.
Benefits of a Car Insurance Broker
Selecting the right insurance for your needs can be difficult. State auto insurance requirements vary, so there are countless options to select from, and they all want to provide you with coverage.
For people with high-risk factors that make finding coverage difficult, an insurance broker can provide assurance in the process. An auto insurance broker knows how to streamline the process and filter through all of the options to find the best policy for you.
Their services provide many ways to help you save and keep you covered.
You’ll have someone who shops on your behalf. They will work to identify your needs and they’ll do all of the policy comparisons for you.
It’s alright if you’re struggling to find what you need out of an auto insurance policy. Some people buy too much coverage and therefore end up wasting money rather than saving it. The knowledge of a broker can focus your efforts and protect you from the risk of underestimating your coverage needs.
Brokers earn their money via commission. Most commissions are between 2% and 8% of premiums based on state regulations which will be factored directly into your coverage price.
Even if they charge service fees in addition to commission, they can still save you money in the long run. For instance, a broker might charge you a $100 service fee, but they secure you a policy that saves you $100 per year. If you keep that same policy for three years, you will have saved $200 during that time period.
Using a broker doesn’t just allow you to save money, but it can also help you save a tremendous amount of time. Auto insurance brokers know all of the ins and outs of signing up for a policy, and they already have all of your application information readily accessible. Brokers can use your information to narrow down your options very quickly.
Not only will an auto insurance broker help you find the best coverage, but they can also address any concerns or questions you might have. Brokers make it easy to deal with insurance issues such as filing a claim or answering billing questions.
Your coverage needs will likely change over time, and a broker can be there to help you through those adjustments along the way. If you need to add your child who just became driving age, or if you’ve gotten married and share a vehicle, a broker can take all of your needs into account and continue finding the best auto insurance options for you.
Compare quotes from the top car insurance companies and save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Should I hire an auto insurance broker?
If you make the choice to seek the assistance of a broker, do your homework and look into their background.
- Verify the broker’s state license by visiting your state’s department of insurance. All auto insurance brokers are required to be fully licensed in your state in order to sell policies in your state. These licenses are your guide to measuring a broker’s qualifications, and they preserve the integrity of the insurance industry as a whole. Licensing requirements vary from state to state.
- Investigate if they have had any complaints against them through state agencies or the Better Business Bureau.
- Check to see if the broker charges service fees. In some cases, even if fees are charged, their expertise will pay off in the quality of coverage they find for you. Take everything into account and decide if the fees are worth their service.
Brokers have an important role in the process of finding the best auto insurance coverage by providing people with an advocate in the insurance world who will get you the best possible policy.
You can buy insurance without the assistance of a broker. You can get car insurance quotes online, but a broker can perform all of the research for you while analyzing your risk portfolio to have a policy approved on your behalf. They do not decide the price you pay, but they can help negotiate with the companies to get you the best deal possible.
How can I become an auto insurance broker?
Are you interested in becoming an insurance broker and working with clients directly to solve their insurance needs? If so, there are several steps to take. Brokers make a major difference in people’s lives, so they are required to meet all of the legal and ethical guidelines.
- Check your state’s requirements for insurance brokers. Every state is different. Some require degrees while others do not. Some states require a producer license instead of a broker license. Perform a search for your state’s department of insurance to help you find out all of the pre-licensing requirements.
- Expect coursework covering ethics and the ins and outs of insurance. Most states require completing a qualifying exam covering state laws and insurance codes. Depending on your specialty, you might require several qualifying exams.
- Obtain all of the necessary training and submit an application to your state insurance agency.
Some states also require fingerprint scans for a background check. Once you receive your official license, you’ll be legally free to conduct insurance sales, build clientele, and apply for jobs with agencies or brokerages.
Car insurance broker salary
If you are interested in becoming an insurance broker, you might be asking yourself, “How much can I earn?” It varies greatly from state to state, but regardless of location, it’s possible to make a healthy living by offering people assistance with their insurance coverage.
- The average salary for insurance brokers in the US is around $72,000.
- Salary rates vary from state to state with Washington topping the list at more than $94,000.
- The state with the lowest average salary for insurance brokers is North Carolina coming in at just over $61,000.
Entry-level brokers with less than one year of experience can earn an average salary of slightly over $48,000.
What do auto insurance brokers do?
Auto insurance brokers can be your greatest ally if you’re a high-risk client for coverage options. They will work for you with a level of expertise you won’t be able to find directly from an insurance agent.
Even when you factor in the price of their help, brokers are there for you to help you save the most money possible while maximizing your insurance protection. They’re more than just insurance salesmen. A great insurance broker acts as your voice in a complicated marketplace.