Best Car Insurance Companies for 1980s Cars
From the music to the hair, the 80s is a decade that lives on in America’s heart. If you have a passion for 1980s cars, classic car insurance can protect your vehicle and keep it running for the upcoming decades.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jun 29, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right car insurance coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our car insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different car insurance companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
- Vintage vehicles from the 1980s should have classic car insurance rather than standard coverage to protect your investment better
- Classic car insurance has special features meant for vintage vehicles, such as agreed-upon value, low mileage, and car show reimbursement
- Some of the best classic car insurance companies are Safeco, Hagerty, and Grundy, though many major providers also offer classic coverage
The 1980s were a time of iconic music and even more memorable style. The 80s was a time of change. The Soviet Bloc was crumbling, computer technology was amping up, and people seemed hopeful for the future.
More than other decades, the 80s holds a special place in the hearts of many. While you can still watch the movies, listen to the music, and rock an acid-washed jean jacket, there’s another way you celebrate your love for this decade: classic 1980s cars.
Whether you love the 80s or collecting classic cars is your passion, there are plenty of 1980s cars for sale. You can also buy unique classic car insurance to protect your investment. Classic car insurance offers the best coverage if you plan to drive your car every day or bring it out only for shows.
Read on to learn more about 1980s cars and the insurance that will best protect them. Then, enter your ZIP code into our free tool to see how much rates might be for you.
The Best Classic Car Insurance Companies
When it comes to classic car insurance, the first thing to consider is the type of car you own and what you plan on doing with it. For example, if you buy a classic car for the sake of using it for your daily driving, you’ll need different coverage than someone participating in a show circuit.
Classic car insurance is a specialty product, so you might want to look at companies specializing in it. You can also get it from larger insurance companies if you’re more comfortable with big-name providers.
The best company for you depends on what you use your car for and how much coverage you need. If you don’t know where to get started, we’ve listed some of the best classic car insurance companies below.
Grundy Classic Car Insurance
If you plan on driving your 1980s car regularly, Grundy might be the best option for you. Each company defines the age of classic cars differently. Grundy considers anything over 25 years old a classic, so that they can cover your vehicle from the 80s.
Grundy insures cars of all ages, but its best policy for classic cars is the Original Olde plan. With this plan, you get the following coverage.
- Liability. This coverage pays for damage you cause to people and property. Most states require a minimum amount of this coverage to drive on public streets.
- Comprehensive. Many things can damage your car besides being in an accident. Comprehensive coverage helps repair the damage done from things like animal contact, vandalism, theft, and weather.
- Collision. No matter who causes the accident, collision will help repair your car.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. While most states require insurance, not everyone follows the law. This protects you in case a driver with inadequate insurance hits you.
- Personal injury protection (PIP). Medical bills can get expensive quickly, especially if you’re injured in an accident. PIP coverage helps pay your medical bills after a car accident.
- No deductibles. You can skip your deductible after an incident in most states.
- Agreed value guaranteed. After Grundy evaluates your car and you both agree on the value, you’ll be reimbursed the full value if you total your car.
- Trip interruption. If your car breaks down while you’re traveling and needs overnight repairs, Grundy affords you up to $600 a day for lodging and meals.
- Inflation guard. Classic cars are considered an investment because they typically rise in value over time. This feature gradually increases the value of your policy to match your car’s appreciation.
- Towing and labor. Grundy covers $250 worth of towing and labor costs after an accident.
While Grundy doesn’t publish any information about it, most insurance companies offer discounts to help you save money. Grundy has a reputation for being the most affordable classic car insurance on the market, so there are likely discounts for you to take advantage of.
Hagerty Classic Car Insurance
Hagerty is right at home insuring, both large and small 1980s cars as it was founded in 1984. However, Hagerty isn’t the right insurance if you plan to drive your car every day. Instead, Hagerty covers club functions, exhibitions, tours, and the occasional pleasure cruise.
Through Hagerty, you can purchase the following add-ons and the standard coverages like liability and comprehensive.
- Flexible usage. Some classic car insurance companies force you to keep your mileage under a specific number, even for pleasure cruises. Hagerty doesn’t set a limit, though you can’t buy this feature and use it for daily driving.
- Hagerty Plus. If you purchase the upgraded Hagerty Plus plan, you’ll get access to roadside assistance. From fuel deliveries to tire changes, Hagerty has you covered.
- Guaranteed value. Rather than paying you the actual cash value of your car at the time, it’s totaled, Hagerty will cut you a check for an agreed-upon price.
- Instant new car coverage. Your policy will automatically cover any car you purchase for 30 days.
- Car show reimbursement. Auto shows aren’t always fun – if you or a family member is injured at a show, up to $10,000 of your medical bills will be covered.
While most companies will work with a driver with a few marks on their driving records, Hagerty is a little pickier. If you have excessive speeding tickets, reckless driving charges, or DUIs, you won’t be eligible for a Hagerty policy.
Safeco Classic Car Insurance
For fans of 1980s cars, Safeco is a safe bet. This company offers classic car insurance to any vehicle over ten years old. The basic Safeco plan covers the standard suite of car insurance products (liability, comprehensive, collision, and uninsured motorist), and you can buy several other features.
- Agreed value coverage. An agent will determine the value of your vehicle when your policy begins. If your car is totaled, you’ll receive that amount back.
- Limited use. If you put less than 5,000 miles on your car per year, your insurance will cost much less.
- Diminishing deductible. As a reward for safe driving, your deductible will reduce by $100 every year you remain claim-free without affecting the price of your insurance. You can stack this deduction up to $500.
- Roadside assistance. If you find yourself stranded on the side of the road in need of repairs, Safeco will help.
- Emergency assistance. This add-on for roadside assistance covers your taxi fare and lodging costs if you’re stranded away from home.
- Personal property. If you frequently travel with valuable items, this coverage will reimburse you their actual cash value if they are damaged in a crash.
Safeco is another company that stays away from high-risk drivers (it helps keep the cost of insurance down for other customers).
The Most Popular 1980s Cars List
Looking to buy one of the most popular cars in the 1980s but can’t quite remember which vehicle was the best? Take a look at the most popular classic cars from the 80s.
- Mercedes-Benz W124 (1985)
- Audi Quattro (1983)
- Nissan 200SX
- Ford Mustang GT
- Porsche 911
- Chevy Camaro
- Ferrari Testarossa
- Datsun 240Z
- Pontiac Firebird
- Lamborghini Countach
And, of course, the ever-iconic DeLorean DMC-12 (which is making its long-awaited comeback). If rare 1980s cars are more your speed, keep an eye out for the Nissan Pulsar NX, the 1989 Maserati Biturbo, and the Chevy Camaro Iron Duke.
Find the Right Insurance for Your 1980s Car
Whether classic cars are a passion of yours or you just love the 80s, the right insurance can help a 40-year-old car stay on the road for decades to come. The right policy can keep your car going, no matter if that means pleasure rides or working car shows.
If you’re looking for affordable classic car insurance companies to protect 1980s cars, you should shop around for quotes. If you want to see what quotes might look like for you, enter your ZIP code into our free tool today.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.