GMAC Car Insurance Review
GMAC car insurance is now known as National General Insurance. They offer car insurance discounts to GM employees and owners of GM vehicles. Read our GMAC car insurance review to learn more about GMAC car insurance programs with unique benefits for policyholders like multi-vehicle, safe driver, and low mileage discounts. Enter your ZIP code below to start comparing car insurance rates for free.
Compare Car Insurance Companies
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Sep 11, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right car insurance coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our car insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different car insurance companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
GMAC Car Insurance was founded over 70 years ago in 1939 as the Motors Insurance Corporation and is the only car insurance coverage offered by a car manufacturer in the USA.
In 2013 the company changed its name to National General. In July of 2020, Allstate announced a deal to purchase National General for $4 billion. National General car insurance reviews are the same as GMAC reviews.
GMAC Auto Insurance is one of the largest insurance companies in the country and is very popular insuring millions of drivers nationwide. Below you will find our National General auto insurance review (GMAC review) but always remember to car insurance quotes before choosing a final provider. Enter your ZIP code now.
GMAC Car Insurance Benefits
GMAC stands out in the crowd compared to other car insurance companies for many reasons other than just the familiar GMAC title. Their auto insurance division promotes a serious of advantages under the SmartDiscounts and SmartServices titles. These programs offer many unique benefits for GMAC car insurance customers including:
- GM/GMAC Customer Discounts: Current customers of certain GM companies such as GMAC Mortgage, GM Credit Card Holders and On-Star subscribers may be eligible for unique GMAC car insurance discounts
- Full Policy Payment Discount: A discount for customers should they pay the policy in full up front.
- Multi-Vehicle Discount: Discounts for having multiple vehicles insured with GM auto insurance
- GM Loyalty Discount: Are all your insured cars GM Cars? You may be eligible for a GM loyalty discount
- Safe-Driver Discounts: Simply by having On-Star it may be possible to get a discount on car insurance from GMAC
- RV Owners enjoy a combined RV/ Auto Policy: In addition to a discount of up to 20% for insuring your car and RV, GMAC offers a unique single deductible protection. In the event that your RV and car are involvded in the same accident only one deductible will be required.
- OnStar Subscribers: Active On-Star subscribers may be eligible for up to a 20% discount
- Low Mileage Discounts: Unique to active to OnStar subscribers who drive fewer than 15,000 miles annually. GM Car insurance reports savings of up to 54% a year for low mileage drivers.
- GM Family First: Employees of GM companies (both active and retired) are eligible for discounts including a long range of extended family members such as son in-laws and same-sex domestic partners
- Affinity Discounts: GMAC offers car insurance discounts for members of many organizations nationwide
In addition to these car insurance discounts the company also offers many of the common discounts offered by most car insurance companies including good driver discounts, anti-theft devices and factory installed safety equipment such as ABS brakes.
Is GMAC the Best Car Insurance Company?
There is no company who can claim title to the best car insurance company since every driver has unique individual needs however if you are a GM car owner its worth looking into GMAC Car insurance. Its important to note that the GMAC Car insurance company historically has received consistent A ratings from rating agencies companies however lately some of the rating agencies have not rated the company as high.
As with any product that looks as good as GMAC car insurance does on paper its worth comparing all the intangible factors such as customer service and claims processing times since some consumers have reported not so favourable response times dealing with GMAC’s customer service team in recent GMAC car insurance reviews.
Take your time and compare car insurance companies. Only choose a provider after comparing all your available options. Enter your zip code and get FREE car insurance quotes today.
GMAC also offers auto insurance coverage for a wide range of vehicles outside of traditional passenger cars through an agreement with Hagerty Insurance – one of the largest specialized auto insurance companies in the world offering coverage for Military Vehicles, Muscle Cars, Classic Cars, Tractors, Trailers, Fire Trucks and more. Read more about Hagerty Insurance and GMAC’s products.
Additional GMAC Information
GMAC Insurance has more than 60 years of experience. They offer a wide variety of insurance products, including car insurance. GMAC is committed to your satisfaction, and they may be perfect for your car insurance needs. Understanding what they have to offer and how to make the most out of their benefits will give you the best experience and insurance coverage possible.
The National General car insurance phone number for customer services is 1-888-293-5108. This line can handle questions from National General cancellation fees to National General health insurance questions. National General Insurance claims should be reported to the claims line directly at 1-800-325-1088.
Types of Insurance
GMAC offers a variety of insurance products to fit all your needs. Whether you just need car insurance or you have other things to insurance, GMAC gives coverage for the following at an affordable price:
- Auto Insurance
- RV Insurance
- Homeowners Insurance
- Renters Insurance
When you find an agent in your area, you can pick the type of insurance you need and work with them to build a cost-effective and beneficial policy.
GMAC Auto Advantages
GMAC offers many advantages when it comes to their auto insurance:
1. SmartDiscounts for Smart Drivers
SmartDiscounts is a program that gives discounts for certain things to help you save more money on your auto insurance. You may qualify for some of the following discounts:
- Multi-policy discount – get a discount for having more than one policy with GMAC.
- Paid-in-full discount – Pay your whole premium up front and save more.
- Multi-vehicle discount – Insuring more than one vehicle decreases your premiums.
- Safe-driver discount – Take a defensive driving course and save while also learning how to avoid accidents.
- Low Mileage discount – if you drive less than 15,000 miles a year, you can save up to 54%.
These are just a handful of the discounts available through the SmartDiscounts program. The more discounts you qualify for and take advantage, the more money you will save.
2. SmartServices for Smart Drivers
GMAC’s SmartServices program goes the extra mile to give you the services you need. If you get into an accident and need to make a claim, you can get the following conveniences:
- SmartValet – Vehicle pick up and a delivered rental car.
- SmartReplacement – A new vehicle if your car is totaled.
- SmartAssist – Optional towing nationwide.
- 24-hour claims reporting.
- Guaranteed claims service satisfaction or you will have your deductible waived.
SmartServices also offers many great safety options to help you out including:
- SmartParts Promise – guaranteed use of only the original equipment manufacturer in repair.
- Lifetime Guarantee on collision repairs.
- Emergency expense allowance up to $500 for food, accommodations, and travel costs.
Finally, GMAC offers flexibility in your policy through additional equipment coverage, SmartDrive coverage, and convenient payment options. SmartDrive coverage will deliver a fill size comparable rental car to you after a claim at no cost to you.
Types of Coverage for GMAC Car Insurance
Not all types of car insurance coverage are appropriate for every driver. Using only the coverage you need, and getting extra coverage when necessary, will help you maximize your savings and get appropriate coverage. Here are just a few of the types of coverage options available for a GMAC policy:
- Bodily Injury liability
- Property damage liability
- Medical Payments
- Personal Injury Protection.
Your agent will be able to work closely with you to build a policy that includes everything you need and nothing more. Getting the right coverage is important, but paying for coverage you don’t need is a waste of money. A knowledgeable insurance agent will help you get only what you need, and he will ensure you understand the coverage you have.
Support for Teen Drivers and Older Drivers
GMAC takes special care of their new drivers and older drivers. Teen drivers between the ages of 16 and 19 have crash rates four times greater than older drivers. They take this into account and work with you to ensure your teenager drives safe and gets all the support they need.
As we get older, our driving skills may suffer. GMAC gives lots of good tips for older drivers including being alert, knowing your limits, maintaining vehicle upkeep, taking a safety course, and more.
No matter how old you are, you can find coverage through GMAC at a great price. They claim to always be there to support you and give you what you need but don’t just take their word for it – enter your ZIP to compare quotes from many different car insurance companies online now.