Rachael Brennan has been working in the insurance industry since 2006 when she began working as a licensed insurance representative for 21st Century Insurance, during which time she earned her Property and Casualty license in all 50 states. After several years she expanded her insurance expertise, earning her license in Health and AD&D insurance as well. She has worked for small health insuran...

Full Bio →

Written by Rachael Brennan
Licensed Agent for 15 Years Rachael Brennan

Chris Harrigan has an economic degree from Limestone College and an MBA from Clemson University. He previously managed auto insurance claims for Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Currently, he is using his business and insurance expertise to provide insurance data analysis and visualizations to enhance the user experience.

Full Bio →

Reviewed by Chris Harrigan
Former Auto Insurance Claims Manager Chris Harrigan

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right car insurance coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.

Our car insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different car insurance companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.

Here's what you need to know...

  • Your car insurance is designed to protect your vehicle under traditional circumstances
  • If your vehicle is damaged due to a break-in or is stolen, the damages may be covered under your comprehensive coverage
  • However, this coverage protects your vehicle, not your personal belongings that you left inside it
  • Personal items that are permanently attached to your car may be considered a part of your car
  • If you attach aftermarket or non-original equipment manufacturer parts to your car you may need to consider adding these items to your policy to get them covered

There are many times personal items are left in a car, such as when you run into the office or the grocery store. However, there are times where your car may be stolen or broken into, and your personal items may be stolen, damaged, or otherwise lost during the process.

In a situation where your car is stolen or broken into, then your car insurance may not cover your stolen personal items; meaning you will need to look at other coverage options.

To compare coverage options from multiple companies at once, enter your zip code above!

Does car insurance cover stolen personal items?


There are some situations that your car insurance may provide limited coverage for your personal items. For example, if the item that has been stolen is a sound system designed to be permanently affixed to your car, then your insurance company may consider this a permanent part of your car.

If you have comprehensive coverage on your policy, then you may have coverage for incidents like this.

The coverage provided under auto insurance policies varies from provider to provider, which means you need to discuss your coverage concerns with any current or potential provider.

If you make alterations to your car, such as adding in aftermarket or non-original equipment manufacturer parts, it’s your responsibility to talk to your provider about this. They may require a policy endorsement to provide extended coverage to these upgrades.

Compare Car Insurance Companies

Compare quotes from the top car insurance companies and save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Compare quotes from the top car insurance companies and save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does car insurance exclude stolen personal items?

In many situations, personal items are not going to be covered under your personal auto insurance.

This is mainly because your auto insurance policy was created to protect your car, any damages you may cause while in your vehicle, or unexpected damages that can occur to your car.

This means your car insurance is not written to protect your personal items.

If you have concerns about your personal items being covered while they are in your vehicle, it’s important to look at your other insurance coverage options; such as homeowner’s insurance or renter’s insurance.

Homeowner’s insurance is a policy designed to protect the structure of the average home as well as your personal belongings when they are in the home or when they are outside the home.

Renter’s insurance is similar to a homeowner’s policy, except that it primarily protects your personal property; it does not protect the structure of the rented residence.

These policy types are designed with your personal items in mind, which means they can help you recover from loss due to theft, regardless of if that loss was in the home or outside the home.

In most scenarios, your homeowner’s or renter’s policy will provide coverage when your items are stolen from your car. Your potential or current insurance provider can explain how these policy types work when it comes to protecting your belongings.

What options do you have to protect your personal items?


It’s important to research the coverage your policies provide before an incident occurs, then evaluate if that coverage is adequate.

If you are planning to attach personal items, such as a sound system, to your vehicle, your insurance provider may require a policy endorsement before your car insurance will provide coverage.

As mentioned earlier, an endorsement is a form that is added to your current insurance policy that changes the terms of the standard auto policy.

For instance, when you add that new and expensive sound system to your car, your provider may need to get some information about the equipment and the cost to add into your policy. This allows the scope of your policy to be expanded; providing coverage to your items in the event of theft or other losses.

Policy endorsements are a great way to protect items that are going to become a part of your car, but these are not the best solution for personal property that you move back and forth.

If this is the case, then you will want to consider an insurance policy designed to protect personal items; normally a renter’s or homeowner’s insurance policy.

Take the time to discuss your needs and your risk exposure with your current or potential insurance provider. They can help you determine the amount of insurance coverage and the policy types that are best for your needs.


Finding ways to protect your personal belongings is often as important as protecting your vehicle, but your car insurance does not always protect your personal items.

In some of these situations, your car insurance may be an option, but there are other policy options available to you if your car insurance does not provide coverage.

If you are concerned about the loss or theft of your personal belongings, consider speaking to your potential or current insurance provider about a homeowner’s, renter’s, or another personal property policy.

An insurance provider should be able to speak to you further about the options available that best meet your needs. Enter your zip code below to find the best car insurance rates in your area today!