FREE Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Call for FREE quotes: (888) 442-5196
UPDATED: Dec 5, 2017
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
U.S. government employees are entitled to attractive discounts and rates on their auto insurance policies. The workers comprise of the people working with the government in different areas:
The auto insurance policies cover the workers, spouses and the children registered with the insurers, too. Geico was the leading company that specialized in providing coverage to the federal employees in the country.
Geico has since expanded its network to include other workers. Other insurance providers have also offered special auto insurance discounts for government employees.
Compare auto insurance rates to find the best insurance provider for your needs.
Government employees should shop around for insurance discounts, which vary from one insurance company to the other. Most companies do not make announcements about their discounts, so it is important to check with them to maximize the benefits.
Insurance companies offer as much as 10 percent off the cost of premiums to the government workers. USAA is another insurance provider, which specializes in providing services to the U.S military.
Among the discounts that they enjoy include:
— Policy Discounts
They are the cuts related to the number of policies that you have as well as your method of payment. The policyholders can save up to 10 percent by taking advantage of the discounts for the following:
- Paperless billing
- Early renewal
- Full and on time payment
- Loyalty to an insurer
- Automatic payment plan
Additionally, most insurance companies would give discounts if you hold more than one insurance type with them and if you switch from one company to another.
— Safe Driving Discounts
They are the discounts given to the drivers with excellent records. Teens and youths also enjoy discounts ranging from 10-15 percent off their total amount after graduating from a driver’s education and defensive driving course.
— Vehicle Discount
They are the discounts that apply to the car and the special equipment installed in it:
- Anti-lock brakes
- Anti-theft devices
- Passive restraint systems
— Driver Discounts
Government employees that have listed their children on their policy enjoy various discounts when their children attain As and Bs. Retired employees also enjoy a 10 percent off.
The permanent workers working full time are the only ones eligible for discounts and not the temporary workers.
The discounts vary depending on the different states laws and regulations.
Most insurance companies are a bit lenient on the state employees considering that they have had one of the most stringent screening methods during hiring than the other private workers.
FREE Car Insurance Comparison
Compare quotes from the top car insurance companies and save!
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Choosing the Best Auto Insurance Provider
Contacting an insurance company either online or through a telephone call is one of the efficient ways of getting information about the services that they provide.
Below are factors to consider while buying an insurance policy for a government worker:
- The complaint index – this is accessible through the state’s Department of Insurance website. Avoid the companies with numerous complaints from their policyholders
- Financial status – once involved in an accident, the employee expects that the insurance company will cover the damages. However, an insurance company may be unable to cover the costs due to its financial status. Always go for a financially stable company
- Reviews – reviews play a crucial role in telling about a company. Check on what people are saying about the company and the ratings that it has acquired
- Product offerings – check anything else that they offer besides the personal auto insurance policy
- Contact method – choose a method that is in line with what you want
The Role of an Employer
You may also consider getting a possible recommendation from your employer who might have an idea about the best insurance providers in your area.
Additionally, you may also consider doing some research with your HR to get to know about the insurance providers who may have collaborated with your department in providing insurance cover with added discounts.
In rare cases, you may find some government institutions that have teamed up with the insurance providers to allow payment of premiums directly from your paycheck.
Driving while Uninsured
Failure to own a car insurance policy would lead to serious consequences such as hefty fines, termination of your contract, as well as the loss of some of your assets. It is also against the government rule to drive around without a valid car insurance policy.
The following are some of the serious consequences of driving without a valid insurance coverage.
- Increased insurance premiums – if you are caught driving without an insurance policy, the state classifies you as a high-risk driver who is subject to higher premium rates.
- Termination of work – a government employee driving an uninsured car gets a misdemeanor conviction, which affects your contract with the state. If a government worker on probation gets a ticket, he also has a very high chance of losing his job.
- Missing a promotion – having a misdemeanor conviction lowers your chances of getting a promotion especially if the opportunity requires you to drive.
Government workers enjoy many discounts and very low premium rates but also get very high penalties if caught driving without an insurance policy.
Find the best rate for the car insurance you need by entering your zip code into our free comparison tool.